Over the past few weeks you have probably seen the press releases from Confederate Motorcycles. They have announced that they are changing their future direction and have changed their name to Curtiss Motorcycle Co. after aviation pioneer Glenn H. Curtiss. With this change, they will be producing a limited edition Curtiss Warhawk Motorcycle inspired by the WWII Fighter Plane. As you will notice, it is pretty much the Confederate FA-13 Combat Bomber with new badging and some trick new finishing details on it.
This bike will be the last of it’s kind from the company as they plan to move into electric motorcycles. Their new bikes will be high powered twin electric motor cruisers that will be produced in conjunction with Zero Motorcycles. So if one of these Confederate bikes were on your bucket list to own, you have one more chance to snatch one up with the Curtiss Warhawk.
Curtiss Warhawk Specifications:
- Head angle/trail: 27.5 degrees/106mm
- Wheelbase: 1,588mm/62.5 in.
- Weight/distribution: 570lb with oil + 3.75 us gallon of fuel, with 48/52% distribution
- Seat height: 724mm/29.5 in.
- Fuel capacity: 3.75 us gallons/16.25 litres
- Type: Air/oil-cooled triple-camshaft ohv pushrod dry-sump 56.25º v-twin
- Four-stroke, with one-piece forged crankshaft, two valves per cylinder, toothed belt camshaft drive, and machined 6061-t6 aluminium billet crankcases.
- Dimensions: 111.76 x 111.76 mm (4.40 x 4.40 in.)
- Capacity: 2,163cc (132 cubic inch)
- Output: 150 bhp at 5,100 rpm (at rear wheel)
- Max torque: 217nm/160ft-lb at 2,000 rpm.
- Compression ratio: 10.3:1
- Fuel/ignition system: Closed-loop delphi electronic fuel injection and engine management system, with single injector per cylinder, and 2 x 51mm S&S throttle body.
- Transmission: 5-speed Curtiss stacked gearbox with Andrews gears, 45mm/1.75in belt primary drive, and hydraulically operated Bandit multiplate dry clutch.
- Chassis: Machined modular 6061-t6 aluminium monocoque, with 7.0in diameter backbone containing fuel load, presented in raw aluminium finish.
- Front: 2 x 230 mm beringer floating Aeronal cast iron discs with four-piston Beringer radially-mounted Aerotec calipers.
- Rear: 1 x 240 mm cross-drilled Aeronal stainless steel disc with two-piston Beringer caliper.
Wheels and tyres
- Front: 160/70vr18 Michelin on 3.50 in. BST carbon wheel
- Rear: 240/45vr18 Michelin on 8.50 in. BST carbon wheel
- Top speed: 165mph+
- 0-60 time: Quick enough!