The crew over at DNA Filters strikes again with their DCR-018 “The Billet Sting” based on a BMW R nineT engine. This amazing build comes a year after they released the DCR-017 that amazed us. With billet sexiness then we can think of, this one might just top their last build. The more and more I stare at this bike, the more details I find. Below are just a few but checkout the pics to see everything in details.
A Monocoque Aluminum frame design. Consists of 10 different parts CNC machined from 6082 T651 alloy. The parts are welded together and key geometry details are machined post welding. The frame is machined in a ‘Honeycomb’ structure, in order to reduce weight without compromising strength. Additionally, it is the visual ‘skin’ of the bike! The machine tool paths are visible, no plastic or synthetic covers were used! To finish it off, the frame was clear anodized to protect it from the elements.
One of our favorite parts of the bike is the forced air induction setup. The intake was designed in such a way to serve as to hexagonal tubes that force the air right through the DNA Filters. The hexagonal intake tubes were machined from huge blocks of 6082 alloy. The profile of the tubes are designed to mirror the honeycomb style.
Now lets talk about the swingarm. Most custom BMW R nineT you will see the swingarm left as it but I’ll let the words of DNA Filters explain it. Look at it and you won’t understand, stare at it for quite some time and your head will start buzzing! Our revolutionary “Z” arm is located deep inside the lower frame and rests on 2 huge 40mm needle roller/thrust ball bearings. The top side rises and connects with the shock, and the right side forms the ‘Z’ shape and connects with the final bevel drive. In the center you will find an oval hole which allows the cardan shaft to pass through. Designed to accept a 200mm Michelin Power Slick EVO Tire, the mission of the “Z” arm is to keep the wheels aligned at high cornering speeds, and provide the valuable 2/1 rear suspension ratio.
If you haven’t checkout out DNA Filters and all the cool things they have been doing, then go head over to the website and check them out. They build some pretty cool air filters which we have personally used on our custom builds and love them. Oh yea and they build some pretty radical customs in their spare time.
DNA Filters BMW R nineT DCR-018 Specs:
- ENGINE: BMW R NINE T 2018
- CAPACITY: 1170cc
- ENGINE TYPE: Air/Oil cooled Boxer
- BORE/STROKE: 101 mm / 73mm
- COMPRESION RATIO: 12.1 : 1
- VALVE TRAIN: 4 Radial valve heads
- FUEL DELIVERY: Electronically controlled fuel injection
- ROAD & RACE mode POWER: 122 whp @7.900 rpm
- TORQUE: 12.3 KGM @6.200 rpm
- POWER to WEIGHT RATIO: 0.66 whp / kg
- TRANSMISSION: 6 speed
- CLUTCH: Single dry plate clutch
- CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDER: Race adjustable 16-18 ESR CNC machined
- FINAL DRIVE: Cardan shaft
- SPEED: 280+ km/h FRAME TYPE:
- Monocoque aluminum CNC machined
- Monocoque aluminum CNC machined
- FRAME ADJ GEOMETRY: Caster 24.50 – 25.50 , rear height ± 12mm
- WHEELBASE: 1490 mm FUEL TANK: Aluminum
- FUEL CAPACITY: 10.5 liters SEAT:
- Monocoque aluminum CNC machined one piece with the subframe
- BIKE WEIGHT: 183 kg (without fuel / road ready)
- AIR FILTER: 2x DNA High Performance Filters Leather Top custom made for the DC-018
- EXHAUST: Akrapovic full titanium custom made for the DCR-018
- STEERING DAMPER: Hyperpro CSC custom made for the DCR-018
- FRONT SUSPENSION: Hyperpro 43mm conventional DLC coated race spec custom made for the DCR018
- REAR SUSPENSION: Hyperpro 3D Shock race spec custom made for the DCR-018
- FRONT MASTER CYLINDER: Race adjustable ratio 18-20 ISR CNC machined
- REAR MASTER CYLINDER: Retro Race ISR CNC machined billet
- FRONT BRAKES: 2 x 320 mm Braketech Direct Link cast iron, 2 x 4 piston ISR Radial billet calipers
- REAR BRAKE: 4 Piston ISR CNC machined billet caliper
- OIL COOLING: Custom design CNC machined from billet by DNA High Performance Filters